A brief history of Wood and Sons pottery
Wood & Sons was a manufacturer of earthenware at the Trent, New Wharf and Stanley Potteries in Burslem, Stoke on Trent.
- Wood & Son was founded in 1865 by Absalom Wood and his son Thomas Wood
- In 1877 Thomas founded New Wharf Pottery with his brother William
- In 1885 Henry, another brother, founded H J Wood Ltd
- In 1894 New Wharf Pottery and at some time, H J Wood Ltd was merged into the company
- In 1907 the name changed to "Wood & Sons"
- In 1910 the name changed to "Wood & Sons Ltd"
- In 1966 the company was bought by Wedgwood
- In 1981 the business went into receivership
- In 1982 the company was bought by Edmund Yorke and other Yorke family members (who were previously on the board)
- In 1982 the business was trading as Wood & Sons (1982) Ltd
- In 2005 the business again went into receivership
Maker's marks for Wood and Sons
Where can you find out more?