What's for sale?
This is an early 20th century, silver-plated pot with rattan handle, by the German manufacturer WMF.
It is a small, pot for coffee, hot chocolate, or hot water. It has an attractive shape, with a pear-shaped body and has nice touches like the Art Nouveau finial and woven rattan handle. It was probably made from brass and has a beautiful, hammered and silver-plated finish.
The plating is worn in a few places on the body and lid, showing the brass on the high points. This contrasts nicely with the intact silver plating in the hollows and results in a very nice overall appearance.
Who made it and when?
It was made by Württembergische Metallwarenfabrik (WMF). The makers mark dates it between 1909 and around 1929. Silver-plated items like this and with this mark are rare. It reads:
- An arch completely filled with horizontal lines and containing a running ostrich over WMF and G
What condition is it in?
- In good condition
- The hinged lid works perfectly
- There are a couple of dents below the waistline
- There is some corrosion where the foot meets the base
- There are dents on the base
- The plating is worn in some places on the top and upper body, revealing the brass on the high points and emphasizing the hammered effect
- The plating on the spout, finial and lower body is good
- The rattan handle is very good and appears to be undamaged
What are the measurements?
- 20.5cm to highest point (8 inches)
- 14cm spout to handle (5.5 inches)
- 13cm diameter approximately (just over 5 inches)
- 306 grams
If you have questions or would like more detailed pictures, just send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Early 20th century (1900-1949)
- Stock ID: