A brief history of Poole pottery
Poole Pottery is a well-known, collectable pottery which has been manufacturing for over 150 years.
- Founded in 1861 by James Walker at the Architectural Pottery, on the East Quay at Poole, Dorset
- In 1873 they were bought by Jesse Carter and marked as "Carter & Co" and "Carter's"
- In 1921 potters John and Truda Adams and designers Harold and Phoebe Stabler joined. They're marked as "Carter, Stabler & Adams"
- In 1930 "Poole England" marks come into use
- In 1964 Poole Pottery Limited is created from merging Carter & Co Poole Pottery with Pilkington Tiles of Manchester
- In 2003 they went into administration
- In 2007 they were taken out of administration by Lifestyle Holdings (Denby) with manufacturing at the Royal Overhouse Manufactory at Burslem, Stoke-On-Trent
Maker's marks for Poole Pottery
Where can you find out more?
Rob's Poole Pottery
The Denby Family