What's for sale?
This is a tall, Art Nouveau, copper and brass pitcher, or jug with lid, from very early, 20th century Germany.
The body and lid are copper, and lined with tin for food use. The handle and finial are solid brass. The spout, base and ornamentation are also brass, but with a very different finish and appearance. The spout is fluted and pours without dripping.
It's rare and handsome item of tableware, demonstrating how German Jugendstil modified the look of Art Nouveau. The applied metal ornamentation on the body features two angular, star-like shapes, beneath a band with cut-out blocks of differing sizes.
Jugendstil refers to the period of German and Austrian, Art Nouveau design which arose during the 1890s and continued until the First World War. The name derived from a Munich-based magazine called Die Jugend. The period and style complemented Art Nouveau but has a distinct look of it's own.
Who made it and when?
It was made by the German manufacturer Gebrüder Bing (Bing brothers), which was founded in 1863 as a maker of metal table and kitchen wares. By the end of the 19th century they were also well-established as a toy maker. Their stamped mark on the base dates it between 1902 and 1907, which also matches the style.
What condition is it in?
- In fair to good condition
- There are a couple of small dents on the foot and a slight loss of shape in its circumference
- There are two dents on the body, one in the middle of one star, the other on the right hand side of the other star
- The finish on the spout, base and ornamentation is tarnished and oxidized
- The hinge and lid work well
- The finial is is bent over and missing the thumb lift
- The base of the handle has been re-soldered to the body
- The overall patina is very nice and quite even
- The tin lining appears to be intact
What are the measurements?
- 3cm high (over 14 inches)
- 15.5cm at the widest from spout to handle (6 inches)
- 11.5cm in diameter at the base (4.5 inches)
- 1 litre capacity
- 701 grams
If you have questions or would like more detailed pictures, just send us an email to email@example.com.
- Stock ID: